Sunday, February 25, 2007

Colored Days

Typically when we color, Sam gets to choose the hue, but I get to choose the saturation and brightness (and sometimes shade) of that hue. I usually choose the paper texture and medium, and Sam usually makes the actual brush strokes. There are departures from this format, but it is the default.

For this piece I chose bright shades. Sam, apparently bored with them, asked me to draw our dog (lying in front of us with only his curved back visible). He thought my rendition lacked a few red spots down the spine and demanded that I add them. We sketched in Mommy's face after that and finished with a wild spatula scrape across it all.

Although the finished piece isn't a recognizable portrait, it still keeps the mood of a coloring day with a lazy dog and pleasant thoughts of Mommy.

No comments: